Wednesday, December 16, 2015

12 Days of Giving: Day 9 : Giving to One Who Is Noble

I have been laid low by a particularly nasty round of what my Marine terms "the krud" (very scientific, I know).  It had been my intent to blog daily about our "12 Days of Giving" but I just haven't been up to the task.


However, Day #9, December 16th, is the day for "Nobility" in the "Name-Day Calendar".  I thought it appropriate to make today's Day of Giving a fundraiser for someone who exemplifies what the word "Noble" means and has given much, and asked for very little in return.


December 16th is also a day with some heavy military history attached to it:  Pepin of Herstal, "natural" father of Charles Martel, who would save Europe from Islam, died on this day in 714; Oliver Cromwell is named "Lord Protectorate" of the Commonwealth of England in 1653; and on this day in 1773, the Sons of Liberty dumped tea into Boston Harbor, setting into place a major turning point in history.

My choice for today's Day of Giving is to help a combat-injured Marine and his family with a specific need.

I know of a recently retired Marine who was injured during his deployments to Iraq, and has spent a great deal of the past year dealing with the healing and medical care needed, like many of my husband's pals.  The non-stop medical appointments and surgeries have made him unable to work full-time and support his family, and they are chronically in a deficit situation each month trying to meet their bills.  It has just come to my attention that they are struggling to find the funds needed to pay their property taxes.  They have until Jan 31st, 2016 to make the payment, but a wonderful Christmas gift would be to take this burden from them and be able to scrap together the funds by Christmas so it will be one less thing for them to worry about, but it's too much of a Gift for our family to take on our own.

"Team Skiff" has been first up, donating their beer money tips, and anything added to the StopShouting Tip Link here will be earmarked specifically for this purpose.




Any Reader who finds it in their heart to donate to this very deserving cause and donates more than $15.00 and provides their mailing address to me will receive not only my thanks and gratitude, but a new "Saint Michael Protect Us" arm band patch (while my supplies last) and a "I Thanked a US Marine" button we had made for a previous fundraiser for a deployed unit.  I think it's an appropriate way to thank those kind donors who step up and chip in, since this Marine's predicament is grounded in his willingness to "Protect Us".




Thank you and God Bless.

In Liberty,
YTZ4Mee

No comments: